Our page has a dual purpose:
- to introduce the village of BEZERÉD
- to the public to invite friends to join the Saint Wendel Chapel Foundation
History: The village existed as early as 1236. Its name (Bezderéd, Bezdréd, Bezered) is first mentioned in 1236 in connection with castle servants. “Predium ecclesie de Porno nominee Bezred…. Castrenses de Bezeréd…. (1236. Zalai oklt.I.10.)” This proves that Bezeréd is one of the oldest villages in the surrounding area.
Sights : Although there is no famous or well-known institution in the village, it is still well worth visiting.
Magnificent landscapes unfold before visitors who walk the hills around Bezeréd. The untouched nature–virtually undisturbed by the tiny, quaint, thinly-populated village–offers ancestral secrets that ravish the rare visitors’ imagination, filling one with the sense of belonging and affection for the region.
Thanks to some Austrian, German, and Hungarian families who have bought and renovated some of the forsaken peasant houses, the architecture reflects the unassuming beauty of early 19th century Bezeréd. No residences survived from earlier times.
The oldest and best-known building in the village is the Saint Katherine Church, a landmark building erected in the 14th century, is a structure of gentle and noble simplicity.
Built in 1359.
The old schoolhouse was begun in the1860s by Count Elek Bezerédy. Now it is duly renovated and maintained, as well as the rustic barn off to the side.
About four kilometres outside the village are the ruins of the once beautiful neo-Gothic Békássy Mansion, built in the 1880s. It fell victim to communism and the free-for-all transition period in the early 1990s. The nearby barn, built in the 1850s and now privately-owned, has withstood trials of time and the elements.
Two rows of old chestnut trees begin from where the fence of the mansion’s courtyard fence used to stand. They mark the way to the vault, the burial place of members of the Békássy family and the renown Görgey family.
Another remarkable building outside Bezeréd is the Saint Wendel Chapel. It was built in 1776, roughly four kilometres outside the village where the forests, meadows, fields, and vineyards meet. Legend has it that many domestic animals perished at the time, and the peasants vowed to build a chapel in St. Wendel’s honour if their animals survived the plague. When the epidemic passed, the peasants kept their vow and built the chapel. Large animal fairs, visited by farmers from remote areas, were arranged around the chapel in the 18th and 19th centuries.
By the end of the 19th century, there were no more animal fairs. A festive day was arranged in the honour of the chapel’s patron saint every Whit Monday or Pentecost, instead.
Hundreds of pilgrims came to the chapel to celebrate the patron saint in the 1960s and 70s. In 2004, there were only about 30 people. The chapel doors were forced open, and the chapel was emptied and vandalized.
Our indignation over this savageness and brutality, not to mention good faith, prompted us to establish the St. Wendel Chapel Foundation to collect financial or material support for the renovation of St. Wendel Chapel in Bezeréd.
We appeal to you on behalf of the chapel and the ancestral heritage of Bezeréd. Please give your support! Any help or small contribution is welcome and appreciated.